This article was originally published in Psychology Today on January 4, 2015. Click here for link!
Making a Fresh Start:
Whether you kicked metaphorical a** or languished in distraction and misdirection, a fresh start for an abundant life is on the horizon.
- In fact,everyday offers a real opportunity.
So, let’s get ready for new beginnings with this new year. Let go of the frustrations, pitfalls, or unexpected roadblocks that occurred in 2014. If it was a good year, use your accomplishments – no matter how small or seemingly mundane – as fuel for a BREAKTHROUGH year in 2015.
The Power of Intention:
EMBRACE intention. BELIEVE that you can and will make steady gains toward a more fulfilled life. Let go of anger, fear, and regret. CHOOSE to focus on the good. Take your POWER back. CHANGE one thing today that will make tomorrow and next year better. START small but consistently. Just start. Use your ENERGY wisely. Define WHO AND HOW you want to be. DETERMINE your path. ENJOY the journey. If what Buddha said is true, “What you think, you become”, then begin thinking more positive and inspiring thoughts.
Ten Power Thoughts:
- Infuse life with action. Don’t wait for it to happen. Make it happen. Make your own future. Make your own hope. Make your own love. – Bradley Whitford
- Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later. – Og Mandino
- Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground. – Theodore Roosevelt
- Set your goals and write them down. Now you’re one step closer to achieving them. – Richard Branson
- A jug fills drop by drop. – Buddha
- Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. – Thomas A. Edison
- It’s more fun to experience things when you don’t know what’s going to happen. – Louis C. K.
- Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy. Human beings have the awesome ability to take any experience of their lives and create a meaning that disempowers them or one that can literally save their lives. – Tony Robbins
- You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. – C.S. Lewis
- The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. – Carl Rogers
From Mind to Action:
What now? Start imagining a life that feels exciting, peaceful, and yet, inspiring. Grab a pen and jot down your ideas. Uncensored. Free-associate all the things in life that you love. What do you notice? What themes emerge? Those are the people, things, and activities that bring you the most joy. Make 2015 about that. What one step can you take today to spark the forward trajectory?
Taking Care of Problems:
And, it you are held back by depression or anxiety, an uneven relationship or a job dilemna, consider taking the active step to get the help you need. Sometimes the greatest action is in repairing what’s getting in the way!
A Case for Wonder:
Welcome wonder, accomplishment, and uncertainty into your life. Seek novelty. It demands your attention and seemingly slows down time. It requires use of all five senses, which result in a here and now experience. This awareness influences your being. It develops a grounded and inspired baseline – you choose whether positive or negative. That experience sews the fabric of awareness and satisfaction. Use it to discover and actualize your best self.
Your spirit is more powerful than you realize.